Adherent Technologies, Inc. (ATI) offers several composites-related technologies that will impact the way that composites are fabricated, used, and repaired.
Reactive Fiber Finishes
ATI offers a line of fiber finishes based on a proprietary reactive coupling agent technology that provides covalent bonding to both the fiber and to the matrix resin. Benefits include:
- Improved properties and durability
- Carbon, silicon carbide, alumina, and Kevlar® fibers
- Vinyl ester, BMI, polyimide, and epoxy compatible
- Application to unsized or desized fiber
- Direct integration into the carbon fiber manufacturing process.
Composite Repair Primers
The increased use of composites in aerospace and commercial structures has created a need for more robust composite repair technologies. ATI has developed a repair primer for composites based on a proprietary reactive coupling agent technology that provides covalent bonding to bare carbon fiber surfaces and to adhesives commonly used for repair.
Current data show:
- Up to 30% improvement in dry bond strength vs bonds prepared without primer
- Up to 30% higher strength in moisture-aged bonds vs moisture-aged bonds without primer
While the development of these repair primers is still in the early stages, these results clearly show the opportunity for significant improvements in composite repair systems.
ATI has developed a process for the production of high-quality powder towpregs. Features include:
- 100% solids — no volatile emissions
- Ability to handle intractable or high melt viscosity materials such as polyimide
- Incorporation of fillers
- Compatibility with braiding, weaving, filament winding, and tow placement
- Potential for high speed, lower cost processing with non-autoclave cure
High-quality powder towpreg has been manufactured using a variety of thermoset and thermoplastic polymer powders including polyimide, bismaleimide, epoxy, polypropylene, polystyrene, and nylon.